Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It is BOX DAY!

To start things off, I need to let you guys in on our history.  This past year was our first complete year of homeschooling.  My focus for my ds,  was Math, adding and subtraction, basic grouping ideas, and manipulative's.  Another goal for him was Reading.  To be quite honest, he hated to read.  This really was disturbing to me, so I have tried this past to invite him to the world of reading in a good way.  Which it turned out to be like a trip to the sand spur patch without shoes on my feet!
In March, I remembered a great series of books that I read in middle school, The Boxcar Children! Each night, I would tuck everyone in and start to read.  I guess I am guilty of "tricking him?"  :0
I would read until there was a great part, and then I would have to go for instance, change the laundry, etc!  He eventually picked the book up and started reading!!!!
So to wrap the history up for my ds, I concentrated on what he needed!
My dd, learnt most of her letters, sounds, numbers, basic addition, and crafting!!!  Lol, Pre K was GREAT!  She soaks in everything and always wants more work!

This 'school year' I have purchased Sonlight.  I am ecstatic.  I have been preparing for about two weeks, hyping the kids up, cleaning out the old and so ready for the new!!!
TODAY IS OUR VERY FIRST BOX DAY!!!

We will start working our new materials next Monday.  Our job slows down for us in the summer which allows more complete focus.  The winter months, which are their birthdays, we take off. I wasn't sure where to start ds.  For him, I chose Core 1 with Readers 2 Intermediate, LA 2, Science 1, handwriting without tears, Art, and Bible.  DD will do the K program.  I went ahead and bought the beginning readers and readers 1 because she goes through stuff quickly.  Even if she doesn't get to them this year, she will eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment